In 1922, the first bitumen emulsion was invented and designed specifically for road surfacing – called Cold Asphalt – that gave Colas its name in 1929.
In the mid 1960s, Colas established its first presence in North America in the province of Quebec, with a direct investment in Sintra.
Colas continued its expansion in the Canadian market in Alberta in the early 1970s with Works Alberta.
In 1990 Terus Construction Ltd. was incorporated in Vancouver. Two paving companies were acquired in Terrace and Kitimat, in North West British Columbia.
The saga continued in 1991 in Prince Rupert, then again in 1992-1993 in Smithers and Prince George/Quesnel. Those companies were gathered under the YCS Holding company’s umbrella.
In 1994 Terus Construction expanded into the North East in Fort Saint John/Dawson Creek with the acquisition of two companies unified under DGS Astro Paving.
1997 saw the creation of ACP Testing, to address the need for integrated Quality Control.
In 1998 the purchase of Skookum Asphalt Ltd. gave Terus Construction access to the Yukon Territory market. The same year, the Colas Group recognized Terus’ achievements in terms of safety, by the award of the 1st International Woodpecker Award.
In 2003, Terus Construction continued its growth in Southern British Columbia, more precisely the Kootenay region, with the addition of road construction and ready mix concrete companies in Nelson, Castlegar, Crescent Valley and Cranbrook.
In 2004 and 2005, success breeding success, Terus Construction had the opportunity to take over more operations in Invermere, Revelstoke and Salmon Arm. The Southern British Columbia operation is now operated under Interoute Construction Ltd’s umbrella.
In 2007 and 2009, our growth continued with the aquisitions of H+J Ready Mix, in Southern BC and Chetwynd Redi Mix + Tumbler Ridge Redi Mix in the Northeastern BC.
In 2010, we are proudly celebrating 20 years of safety and presence in BC and the Yukon.